Level 4 Approved Medicine in Remote Areas (MIRA)
The Level 4 Medicine in Remote Areas (MIRA) course has been designed for individuals working in or aspiring to work in remote or austere environments where immediate medical support will be the responsibility of the team members.
The G4S Specialist Training MIRA course design has been driven by the specific requirements of our clients predominantly in the Hydrocarbon Industry that require those providing Protective Security for their operations are able to deliver first line medical support, It is also suitable for individuals/groups who are involved in expeditions or exploration, who wish to build on their core medical knowledge and gain recognised qualifications.
The MIRA course is underpinned with endorsement and certification by the Training and Standards Committee of the Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care of the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh. Delegates will also receive a level 4 OCN award which gives this course academic recognition.
Why choose this course:
- Delivered by experienced professionals
- Endorsed by the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
- OCN Level 4 academic qualification
- MIRA medic qualification
- Internationally recognised
- Accommodation available at our training venue
- The MIRA course Can be delivered internationally, The course can be delivered at your location for groups and company staff ( Enquire direct for details)
Our five day course aims to provide operational emphasis and real time training to students, who undertake this course,
To undertake the course each student must have one of the following prerequisites:
- First Person on Scene Intermediate
- Combat Medical Technician Class 1(or service equivalent)
- Emergency Medical Technician
- HSE Offshore Medic
- Tactical Medical Support: the under-pinning principles
- Safety and scene assessment and threat assessment
- A review of the cABCDE approach
- Advanced airway (LMA insertion & ventilation with BVM device)
- Advanced Breathing (competencies include chest examination and assessment, management of penetrating trauma, needle thoracentesis*)
- Preparation & Planning for remote medical support (risk assessments, medical intelligence & med plans)
- Overview of IV Cannulation & IO insertion*
- Common medical conditions (asthma, diabetes, hypertension etc)
- Safety & situational awareness in a hostile environment
- Vehicle extrication techniques
- Environmental conditions (presentation & management)
- Fracture management & evacuation techniques (improvised techniques to deal with fractures and evacuation)
- Primary care (overview of common ailments encountered in remote locations/expeditions and their management)
- Medical Emergencies (common types of emergency, their presentation & management)
- Medical kits & contents
- Medications (discuss storage, dispensing & legal issues)
- Medical major incident management and triage exercise
- Taking and recording a patient’s history and vital signs and documentation.
Our instructors bring extensive experience of operating in a myriad of both hostile and remote environments and with this in mind they have designed this course to focus on the medical as well as the trauma aspects of remote medicine. This will ensure that students are provided with the knowledge, skills and confidence to provide effective holistic care in challenging environments.
Link to Our Team
£875 +VAT(£1050 incl VAT)
Benefits of MIRA training:
- MIRA is currently the only course of its kind that is Endorsed and certified by the Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care and the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh.
- Large organisations particularly international oil and gas companies require their security personnel to have designated advanced first-aid qualifications,
- Delegates will develop an increased confidence with regards to dealing with casualties in hostile and remote environments.
- Our graduates are highly sought after for a wide variety of opportunities worldwide.
- High quality instructors and training.
G4S Risk Consulting Ltd is an Approved ELC Provider
Level 4 Medicine in Remote Areas (MIRA) course has been approved by the MOD for ELC funding.If you are a Service Leaver, or have left the services within the last 10 years you may be eligible to apply. The MOD's Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) is an initiative to promote lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces.The ELC scheme provides financial support in the form of a single up-front payment in each of a maximum of three separate financial years. Please contact your re-settlement office or visit the ELCAS website www.enhancedlearningcredits.com for further information
G4S Risk Consulting Ltd is an Approved OCN Provider
The Open College Network (OCN) is a leading national awarding organisation providing high quality qualifications to learners at all levels. With a background in education stretching back to the 1980s, OCN Credit4Learning is working to improve the quality of education across the UK. The recognition of bespoke training and learning is a speciality of OCN and one of the main facets of the provision of a bespoke accreditation service that reflects the needs of the learner. This is facilitated by OCNs innovative approach which ensures a service that meets the high quality assurance standards necessary for formal accreditation.